Margaret Gettle Washburn, P.C.
(770) 676-1191
Habla español, por favor pregunte por la señorita Alex.

I'm unhappy with my custody or support order. Can I change it?

Whenever two people get divorced, the goal is typically to just get through the process and try to focus on moving forward. Even though it can be painful and difficult to untangle your life and finances from each other, the fact that there is a light at the end of the tunnel can be very reassuring. That is true for most aspects of a divorce. That is, unless you are parents.

If you are parents, your relationship with an ex doesn't necessarily end with a divorce. In most cases, you will still need to communicate and interact with each other long after a divorce is finalized for the purposes of raising your child. You will also be bound to the terms of child custody or support orders which will be set when you divorce.

However, over the course of time, people and situations change considerably. Parents can get remarried, lose a job or have to move. Children also go through significant changes as they get older. They may take up new hobbies, change educational or career aspirations or get injured in an accident that leads to increased medical needs.

Considering all the things that can change after parents have divorced, it is important to understand that child support and/or child custody orders can be modified in some situations if they no longer seem appropriate.

Modifying these orders is not something that is done on a whim. There are many factors that must first be considered by the parents and the courts. For example, what change is prompting the move to modify an order? Is it significant? Would modifying a current order be in the best interests of the child?

These will all have to be considered before a court will grant a modification request and it can take some time. If you have questions or concerns about changing an order for support or custody, you would be wise to continue to comply with the terms of the original orders and speak with an attorney sooner, rather than later, who can help you pursue your options for modification.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Tell us your story

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Margaret Gettle Washburn, P.C.
4799 Sugarloaf Pkwy
Building J
Lawrenceville, GA 30044

Phone: 770-676-1191
Fax: 770-963-2828
Lawrenceville Law Office Map

facebook twitter Google Plus