When you are injured in an accident in Georgia, a personal injury claim can provide you the compensation you need to take care of your medical bills and other damages. However, the path to filing a personal injury lawsuit is never easy. The physical and emotional trauma notwithstanding, it is extremely important that you file your Georgia personal injury lawsuit within the stipulated timeframe.
So, what is the Statute of Limitations for personal injuries in Georgia?
Generally, the statute of limitations for most personal injury lawsuits in Georgia is two years effective from the date of the accident. However, it is important to understand that the two-year timeline is not necessarily applicable for all personal injury lawsuits. The time limit for your personal injury suit may vary depending on the kind of damages you are seeking as well as the circumstances that lead to your injury.
Here are some of the exceptions to Georgia’s personal injury statute of limitations
Statute of limitations can be tolled (time limit reviewed) when certain circumstances are applicable to your case. Some of the reasons why Georgia’s statute of limitations for personal injury claims may be tolled include:
- When the defendant has left the state and cannot be reached and served with the lawsuit
- When there is an active criminal charge against the defendant that relates to the cause of action
- When the personal injury victim is underage (below 18)
- When there is a delay in determining the cause of the injury
- When the victim has no assigned personal representative
- When there is evidence of fraud, such as falsified medical reports or fraudulent accident reports.
The statute of limitations will only begin to run when the tolling factor has been addressed.
Depending on the severity, a personal injury can impact the victim’s life in multiple ways. If you have suffered an injury as a result of another party’s fault, you may be eligible for compensation. However, the first step towards a successful suit begins with filing your personal injury lawsuit within the stipulated time frame. Involving an experienced personal injury lawyer as soon as you possibly can will ensure that your claim is filed within the appropriate time so that you can pursue the compensation you deserve.