Experienced. Efficient. Effective.

  1. Home
  2.  » 
  3. Family Law
  4.  » Modifications And Contempt

Is It Possible To Enforce Or Modify Your Child Support, Custody Or Alimony Order?

For many people in Gwinnett County and the surrounding areas, a court order or the finalization of a divorce decree does not put a family law matter to rest entirely. Sometimes circumstances change, making a support or alimony order unaffordable. For example when certain life events occur, like a round of layoffs, a business going under or a child moving away to college, it may be necessary to seek a legal modification.

From our law office in Lawrenceville, we represent clients who need to modify spousal support, child support and child custody orders. Our experienced attorneys also counsel those who need to enforce existing orders.

What is contempt? In Georgia, contempt is the willful violation of a court order. A conviction for contempt can result in orders to pay fees and past-due support and even jail time. If you have been accused of contempt, call our firm as soon as possible at 770-637-8695.

Experienced Legal Counsel For Enforcement Issues And Modifications

If you believe that your custody or support order is no longer feasible or relevant, we can help you understand and pursue the available remedies. Our lead attorney, Margaret Gettle Washburn, has over 35 years of legal experience, and all of our lawyers and legal staff have comprehensive and up-to-date knowledge of Georgia’s family laws. We provide our clients efficient and effective legal counsel when they need to achieve modifications.

Georgia allows changes to family law orders when they are warranted by certain compelling reasons. Most often, a significant change in financial resources may trigger an allowable modification, but there are other accepted reasons as well.

When you need to change the terms of your divorce decree or a court order, it is critical to seek legal guidance and go through the proper channels. Simply failing to follow an order — even if your ex-spouse or former partner agrees with your plans — can end up resulting in a contempt charge.

If Your Circumstances Have Changed, Take Action Now

Call 770-637-8695 or fill out this form to contact an attorney to discuss your need for a modification or your contempt case.

Schedule A Confidential Consultation.

Office Location